Tuesday, February 19, 2013


There are certain events you go through in life that have a significant impact on you. Life is full of twists and turns, full of experiences and events that shaped you in a particular way. Many people can recall a specific event in their life that forever changed them.  These events become unforgettable memories, from which you are taught a lesson that lives in you forever. It was a cold morning, we were waiting in the terminal for the bus that was going to take to Tijuana. I could feel a sense of sadness in the air but it must have been my own sadness and fear of living everything behind. I was about to merge into an adventure that was going to change me and mark me from that moment on. My dad had decided that it was time for us to come to the United States, a decision which I had no control over, an event that was going to have a big impact on my personality and the way I was. I remember I would always be the first to raise my hand at school, really outgoing always trying to make my friends laugh. I was not afraid of talking in front of people nor embarrass of talking to anyone, a person that would stay behind after this drastic change. It would take me a while to finally accept that I was not going to go back to my country and that this was in fact going to be my new home, new friends and new things to learn awaiting ahead. 

A huge problem I came across when I moved to this country was the language; it would have been totally different if I was younger when I first moved. A 15 year old teenager, with a set personality that felt he did not fit in. There were certain experiences throughout this event of moving places that molded me into a different person. Moving to another country was and it still is an event that has had a major impact in my life. Part of my personality of being embarrass or an extremely shy person at times is due to certain things that happen during this transition of adapting to new people, new culture and a new way of living. I can recall those times when people would make fun of me for not speaking the language or for pronouncing a word wrong.

My first day at school, how could I forget that day. It was around 8 am when we got there, my dad signed some papers and boom I was ready to go. I was waiting at the principal office and there were a group of kids standing next to me. One of them asked something, but of course I could not understand a word. My mind went blank,  I paused for a minute and all I could think of was “no hablo ingles”, I don’t know what was so funny about it but they all started laughing; I got all red and just got out of there. I stood outside until my teacher came to take me to class. A big classroom with posters all over the walls, she introduced me to class and the “American dream” had begun for me. At first, I was kind of nervous, did not know what to expect. This was an ESL class, so we were all in the same page trying to learn a new language. But, everything changed when I had to enroll in normal classes for my sophomore year. No more ESL classes for me, even though I knew I was not ready there I was.

Monday morning, a test coming up, a presentation was due. I would hate when I had to talk in front of the class. There were many times where I felt really bad because some of my classmates would make fun of me, time went by and my attitude towards started to change. Without noticing my personality and my way acting with others started to change.  I had being molded into a person I was not before, a lack of confidence existed within me. What I would do most of the time I would just go to class, do my work and not talk to anyone. From being that outgoing kid who would always wanted to stand up in class, this shy and timid guy had evolved. Sometimes is hard to believe how a single event can have a major impact in you, with time I have learned to careless about what people say. As time has gone by, I have tried to better myself for my own good, a reason why I am back here trying to pass this class.  This is my second time I enrolled in this class; the first time was a few years ago. Why did I drop it the first time? Because I was afraid, did not want to take the challenge. But, in order for me to get better I have to face my fears, face and defeat those little things that exist within myself that make me act certain way.

 Today I can say that I have two sides to my personality, I could be that same person that I used to be whenever I am surrounded by people I know I can trust. But in the other hand I learned to be certain way throughout my experience of adapting to a new culture that is hard to leave behind. I am still in the process of learning the language, sometimes it gets tough but I need to keep trying. When I was growing up I never picture myself living anywhere else, nor having to learn a new language. All this event of moving to a new place did indeed had a major impact in me, maybe I got molded into someone I never thought I would be. But, before I would only see the negative things about it, I became this or I became that due to this change. Now I see it from a different perspective, I would be this or I would be that thanks to this change. Sometimes I would question myself and wonder where would I be if I had never come here? Who knows, I know I did changed due to this experience, but that is what life is about. Adapt to changes, learn from bad experience and try to be better every day.   

8 comments:

  1. I get the same way when I'm around people I'm not used to, I get super shy even though I'm so loud with my friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great essay thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Though I didn't go through the experience that you had, I can relate to you because even though I was born here, I only knew Spanish and not a lick of English. They changed me into English when I was in fourth grade and it was really hard. But I got the hang of it at the end so I know you can do it, too. Nice essay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great essay, pretty interesting..

    ReplyDelete
  5. when I was younger, I always had this fantasy of moving away to a totally different country and taking in the surroundings, immersing myself in their culture and learning about a foreign history, but I would have been traumatized if all people did was laugh at me for miniscule mispronunciations of their language. Bullies are cowards and childish. This was an interesting read, and I'm sure you'll gain that confidence back again.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really enjoyed this essay. Great intro and your feelings were very descriptive. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It must have been really hard to adapt to your new lifestyle. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  8. It must have been really hard starting a new life, but it only adds to the person you are today. I am glad you made new friends and you can still relate to the person you were back then. That person will always be you.

    ReplyDelete